If you looking for the best budget backpacking tent under 100? then look no further. Your search is now over because, in this article, I list the best of the best budget backpacking tents that will make your life outdoors something to remember.
Our article aims to simplify everything for you to enable you to get the best for your budget while we factor in features below. These tents will definitely satisfy all your needs to be easy to carry, light and dependable.
Quick Overview For the Best Backpacking Tents Under $100:
- Best 1 Person Tent: ALPS Mountaineering Lynx 1-Person
- Runner Up 1 Person Tent: Naturehike Cloud-Up
- Best New Brand: Winterial Single Person Tent
- Best Pure Budget Buy: Trekker 2.2 Tent
- Best 2 Person Tent: ALPS Mountaineering Taurus
- Stretch Budget To $150: 3F UL Gear Lanshan 2
Best Budget Backpacking Tents Under $100
Let’s dive in on these tents and explore what makes them a good choice for anyone looking for a good quality budget backpacking tent. We also will jump into the criteria we used to make our choices.
Best 1 Person: ALPS Mountaineering Lynx
The Lynx 1 comes loaded with standout features and is great for your solo trips outdoors. With a simple freestanding design and pole clips that quickly attach to the aluminum poles, it sets up nearly instantly. Additionally, the Lynx tent walls are mostly made of mesh, which helps increase the ventilation.
- There's no assembly frustration with our Lynx tent Series; This free-standing, aluminum two-pole design is a breeze to setup
- Polyester tent fly resists water and UV damage while adding one vestibule for extra storage space
- Fully equipped with #8 zippers, storage pockets, gear loft, stakes, guy ropes and one doorway
- The Alps Mountaineering Lynx tent is on our best sellers list; it’s a must-have for your next adventure.Weatherproof fly buckles on for maximum adjustability and protection
- Base size: 2'8 x 7'6, center height: 36", total weight: 4 lbs. 1 oz. , minimum Weight: 3 lbs. 5 oz. , Color: Clay/Rust
- 2 Pole Quick Assembly – This free-standing, aluminum two-pole design is a breeze to set up.
- Factory Sealed Seams – Factory seals the fly and floor seams to give the best weather protection.
- Survived PCT Thru-Hike – 2500+ miles of wear and tear daily over 5 months without failure
- Needs Footprint – Water can leak through the floor without it.
- Not The Lightest – This tent is very heavy
Final Thoughts on the ALPS Mountaineering Lynx
When looking for a budget tent this is an excellent choice for a single person tent when you are looking to go out and spend the night.
Runner Up 1 Person: Naturehike Cloud-Up
If you are looking for an ultra-lightweight tent that can save you space, and weight. Using high-quality construction materials and equal to many top brands at only half or less of the cost.
- LIGHTWEIGHT: The Naturehike cloud up tent still maintains the ultralight weight that minimalist backpackers look for. The cloud up 210T ultralight tent only weighs 3.8lbs(1 person)/4.7lbs(2 person)/5.7lbs(3 person).
- WATERPROOF: 210T polyester rain fly & bathtub with PU 3000 coating is better in waterproof and firmer than you expected. Weatherproof material with factory-sealed seams keeps you dry and comfortable in all season&all weather conditions!
- EASY TO SET UP: It is an outdoor tent that can be quickly assembled in 5 minutes and can be easily assembled by one person according to the procedures and instructions attached to the inside of the outer bag.
- QUALITY THROUGHOUT: The high-quality details include but not limited to smooth and reliable YKK dual zippers, mesh interior pockets, incredibly durable rip-stop fabric materials, full-coverage rainfly and firm lightweight structure, to stand up to your biggest adventures.
- BUY WITH CONFIDENCE: We stand behind our products and provide a 30-day money-back guarantee for any reason and limited lifetime warranty for quality-related issues. If your product has a manufacturing defect simply let us know!
- Inner Tent – Made with anti-scratch 210T Polyester & B3 breathable mesh
- 4 Seasons Tent – It has double layers can be used for many ways of camping
- Quick Setup – Less than 10 minutes from multiple reviews
- Quality Rainproofing – Withstands multiple days of severe rainfall without allowing moisture and rain inside the tent.
- Cramped For Space – Good for laying down but not much more
- Doorway – The Doorway is the highest part of the tent and makes entering foot first necessary
Final Thoughts on the Naturehike Cloud-Up
One of the favorites for backpackers as it is a nice small tent that weighs in pretty light while staying in the under $100 bracket. Definitely can serve you well until you migrate to your next tent down the road!
Trekker Tent 2.2
The Trekker Tent 2.2 is a very nice and affordable tent while being fairly lightweight and compact. It has the greatest length of all the tents making it a contender for anyone over 6′ tall.
- This tent now features an updated seam design and a new material for increased protection against the elements.
- This tent is intended for use with your own trekking poles, but can be used with almost any stick that is over 42 inches tall.
- At over 7 feet long, over 5 feet wide, and 42 inches high, this tent offers more room inside than almost any other ultralight tent.
- This tent has large mesh sidewalls and vents making it close to a full 2-layer tent. Double wall tent on the sides and front only. The back wall is single wall.
- Two-person tent comes with 8 ultralight stakes, guy lines, and a carry bag.
- Almost a 2-Layer Tent – This tent features large meshed sidewalls and vents making it close to a full 2-layer tent.
- Compact and Lightweight – Very easy to pack, it can fit nicely in your backpack
- Big & Tall Friendly – Tent is long ( 7 feet) which helps taller backpackers
- Well Ventilated – Additional vents included to allow best airflow possible
- Trekking Poles Required – This tent requires trekking poles and some may not use them.
- No Vestibule Area – The tent is an enclosed space without additional area outside that is covered.
Final Thoughts on the Trekker Tent 2.2
One of the least expensive tents on the list it needs trekking poles but could be a solid tent for someone on a budget, some on YouTube have said they need to be seam sealed to prevent leaking water on rainy days so make sure to seal this tent just to be certain!!
Clostnature Lightweight 2 Person Tent
One name that I don’t see around backpacking circles is Clostnature but in researching I have found their gear to be very durable and loved by the people who used it frequently over other similarly priced gear.
- WATERPROOF&DURABLE: We offer limited LIFETIME WARRANTY. 210T Polyester rain fly&groundsheet&bathtub with PU 5000 coating are firmer than you expected. Weatherproof material with factory-sealed seams keep you dry and comfortable in all season&all weather condition! Better material but more affordable! You really need an appropriate lightweight 2 person tent for backpacking!
- LARGE SIZE&LIGHTWEIGHT: Ultralight 2 person tent! Interior Size 7’3” x 4’11” x 3’10”. Weight: 5.4lbs. Packed Size: 16.5''x5.9''x5.9'', easy to put in one’s backpack. Larger than most 2 person backpacking tents and even could fit a little dog more. Great for kids or children as a boy scout tent.
- QUICK SETUP&COMPACT: Free-standing and two Aluminum poles design for lightweight hiking tent’s fast pitching. Easily setup by one person with no experience. This ultralight backpacking tent is compact and portable, also great for Hiking, Bikepacking, Kayaking, Mountaineering, Fishing or Car Camping
- EXTRAORDINARY DESIGN: Interior entire mesh walls designed to offer great ventilation, this ultralight hiking tent has 2 D-shaped doors and 2 vestibules on the side design provide convenient enter&out and extra storage for your backpack or shoes
- WHAT YOU GET: 1 x carry bag,1 x inner tent,1 x flysheet,2 x Aluminum poles,4 x ropes,14 x Aluminum stakes,1 x pole emergency repair kit. Every product you purchased has a lifetime warranty in material and workmanship defects. We also offer 100% risk-free satisfaction guarantee, if you aren’t satisfied with it we’ll be happy to refund
- Large Vestibule – Offers more room and protection.
- 2 D-shaped Doors – 1 on each side allows you to enter or return without crossing over your partner.
- Freestanding – This freestanding structure allows you to move and relocate the tent without having to disassemble
- Ventilation Focused – Inner tent entire mesh wall creates fabulous ventilation with two ventilation windows on flysheet. No condensation will form and no insects problem
- Aircraft-grade Aluminum poles with high strength composite clip.
- Durable and smooth two-way SBS zippers protected by Velcro sleeves.
- Curtains gathering unit for your convenience
- Free Standing – Needs no trekking poles to stand up and use
- Well Ventilated – Additional vents included to allow best airflow possible
- No Footprint Included – You will need to purchase or create your own footprint.
Final Thoughts on the Clostnature Lightweight 2 Person Tent
While the Clostnature tent won’t be hitting those ultralight weight limits for you they are a smaller company looking to build sustainable gear as their core focus.
The double doors and the unique cover for your vestibule gives this tent a nice comfy feeling for those longer nights outside.
Naturehike Backpacking Tent
Naturehike as a strong player in the lower price range “budget” category but provide an amazing value for the price. This potion from them is a one person tent which will work well for hiking, backpacking, or just enjoying outdoors where you can setup a tent for a break from the sun.
- 【Durable and High-Quality Material】: Naturehike cycling tent are made with high quality Material. The inner tent made with 210T Polyester Taffeta B3 Mesh; rainfly made by 210T Polyester Taffeta and guarantees PU3000mm water-resistant; tent poles made with lightweight and durable 7001 space aluminum, can supports most heavily wind rain.
- 【Roomy 1-person Tent for 3 Seasons】: With the unfolding size of (12+37.4+12) x 80.7 x 43.3 (H) inches. The tent also has double layers that is suitable for 3 Seasons and preferred use for Hiking, Expeditions, Fishing, Kayaking, Car Camping, Backpacking, or Bikepacking.
- 【Breathable & Stable】: Large section of mesh and 2 D-shaped doors with dual zippers provide much better ventilation. Equipped with 8 lightweight Alloy Pegs and 2 Wind ropes, the tent has a high resistance of wind.
- 【Easy to set up & Freestanding】: Easy assembly, free-standing design with aluminum poles, it takes less than 10 minutes to set up the tent with double flysheets.
- 【No Risk Purchase】: We stand behind our products and provide a 30-day money-back guarantee for any reason and limited lifetime warranty for quality-related issues. If your product has a manufacturing defect simply let us know!
- Waterproof :silicone coated fabric,fully taped seams
- Windproof: professional 7001 aviation aluminum rod and thick aluminum pegs
- Insect prevention and ventilation: 2 air vents, high density B3 mesh
- Incredibly Quick Setup – Most can have the entire inner and outer setup in under 5 minutes which many getting down to 2-3 minutes!
- Not Overly Vented – Only two little vent window available
- Tight Fit if Tall – Most said that at 6 feet they fit but after this would become very tight.
Final Thoughts on the Naturehike Backpacking Tent
Definitely a nice starter tent to get you out hiking and backpacking, has some very strong points for lasting a while as you learn the ins and outs and what you may want in your next tent!
AYAMAYA Ultralight Backpacking Tent
This tent is highly rated on Amazon overall and supports a freestanding installation not requiring trekking poles. Along with the ability to set up the internal or external only allows for a load of customization.
- This is a Waterproof & Lightweight Backpacking Tent – This tent is made of 3000MM waterproof PU-Coated 210D oxford groundsheet, 2000MM waterproof PU-Coated 190T polyester fabric roof, 190T polyester breathable inner wall with large B3 no-see-um mesh wall. Heats sealed seams in the connection area prevent from leaking water, keep you dry inside. Using 7.9mm 7001 aluminum pole, tent total weight only 5.7lbs, super lightweight, easy to carry.
- This is a 2 person Tents with 2 Vestibules – This tent has vestibules on both side that provide extra storage space for your camping gears. Tent’s floor area: 33 ft, vestibule area: 8 ft, Tent Length: 86.6in/7.2ft, Width: 55.1 in/4.6ft, Height: 47.2 in/3.9ft. Spacious enough to accommodate up to two people, perfect for couples or single person with camping gears.
- This is a Ventilation Tent with 2 Doors & 2 Top Vents – This tent conveniently built with 2 d-shape doors for easy access and enable direct air circulation when open both of them. The inner tent wall is consisted of breathable material under part and B3 mesh upper part, has a large mesh window on the doors, provide much better ventilation. Has two top vents on the outer rainfly, enhances breathability and comfort, reducing condensation.
- This is an Easy Setup Tent with Automatic Setup Pole - There’s no assemble frustration with this backpacking tent. Special pre-attached automatic setup aluminum pole, durable clips on the inner tent, help you set up or take down the tent in less than 2 minutes. Freestanding allows the tent to be moved and relocated without having to disassemble, Easy to use.
- This is a Double Layer Tent for Multi-function - This backpacking tent consists of: inner tent and outer rainfly. Inner and out layer superpose together as a weatherproof backpacking camping tent for windy or rainy days. Inner layer also can be used alone as a ventilated tent. Outer layer also can be used alone as a sunshade. It available for multi-occasion such as backpacking, hiking, expeditions, fishing, kayaking, camping, motorcycle, or bikepacking, etc.
- High Quality Waterproof Material & Heat Sealed Seams
- Fabric Material: 190T Polyster
- Ground Material: 210D Oxford
- Waterproof Index: 2000MM-3000MM
- Window Cover: 2000MM Waterproof PU-Coated Polyester
- Heat Sealed Seams: in the connection area prevent from leaking water, integrated vented rainfly keep you dry.
- Double Layer – Allows for Multi Use
- Inner and out layer: Work together as a weatherproof backpacking camping tent for windy or rainy days.
- Inner tent also can be used alone: as a ventilated tent. Sitting inside the tent to enjoy the night star sky.
- Outer layer also can be used alone: as a sunshade by undetachable the inner layer.
- 2 Doors & 2 Top Vents & B3 Mesh – More Ventilation
- This tent designed with 2 d-shape doors: Allows for easy access and enable direct air circulation.
- Inner tent wall: Consisting of a breathable material lower and B3 mesh upper
- Freestanding & Pre-attached Pole Structure
- Special pre-attached together pole structure: Automatically connect each section when release them, no assemble frustration.
- Convenient clips on the inner tent: help you set up or take down the tent in less than 2 minutes.
- Freestanding: Allows the tent to be moved and relocated without having to disassemble, easy to use and saving time
- Freestanding – Doesn’t require trekking poles to support the tent
- Double Walled – Can be setup without the outer wall for nice nights to help stay cool.
- Overall Weight – Tent comes in around 5.7 pounds which is quite heavy for backpacking use.
Final Thoughts on the AYAMAYA Ultralight Backpacking Tent
When you are looking for a deal tent that is low in price you will typically need to sacrifice somewhere to get the cost down. This is the story with the AYAMAYA which is amazing and well loved but is definitely over a 3-4 pound weight. Though if you are searching for a tent to use for camping or similar use this is a good deal!
ALPS Mountaineering Taurus 2-Person Tent
The Taurus 2 person tent from ALPS is a heavier tent but with a load of reviews from users that it is a solid performer even into winter conditions which gives this a boost as it could expand your camping season.
- There's no assembly frustration with our Taurus Tent series; this free-standing, fiberglass two-pole design can be setup in no time
- Polyester tent fly resists water and UV damage while adding two vestibules for extra storage and space
- Mesh roof, two entryways and a zippered window on each door offers easy access and great ventilation
- Fully equipped with #8 zippers, mesh storage pockets, gear loft, aluminum stakes and guy ropes
- Base Size: 5' x 7'6, Center Height: 46", Total Weight: 7 lbs., Color: Sage/Rust
- Free-standing two-pole design with shock corded fiberglass poles
- 75D 185T polyester fly with 1500mm coating resists UV damage and stays taut
- Factory-sealed fly and floor seams provide best weather protection
- 75D 185T poly taffeta floor with 1500mm coating
- Extra large #8 zippers on both doors for extra durability
- Easy entry with two doors and ‘single zip operation’
- Two zippered windows (built into doors) and large mesh panels provide great ventilation
- Mesh storage pockets, gear loft, 8 inch steel stakes and guy ropes are all included
- Double Doors & Vestibules – Entrance on either side helps two people sharing the space to not have to climb over the other occupant
- Overall Weight – This weighs in at 7 pounds which is definitely one of the heaviest on the list.
Final Thoughts on the ALPS Mountaineering Taurus
When you want to get a tent which can allow you to camp all 3 seasons and into winter this may be an awesome choice. Though this is countered by the 7 pounds to carry which limits it to short backpacking trips and not suitable for a week long hike for most people.
Winterial 3 Person Tent
It can be difficult to find a tent that is both lightweight and spacious. Fortunately, this three-person tent by Winterial is exactly that. It provides plenty of room for three adults to sleep comfortably. Despite its spaciousness, the tent weighs only 4.4 pounds, making it perfect for backpackers.
- FEATURES include: Rain Fly Vented Roof ,Two Durable ALUMINUM Tipped Tent Poles Screen and Solid Zippered Doors
- EASILY holds 3 people. Comparable to Coleman and Alps Mountaineering
- 4 Metal Stakes; Open Dimensions: 82 x 64 x 46 inches, Pack Dimensions: 23.8 x 4.4 x 4.1 inches / 4.4lbs
- PERFECT for any outdoor trip, lightweight and is very compact when folded
- GREAT 3 person backpacking tent that can be easily packed for your trip!
- A removable rainfly keeps you dry and cozy in wet weather.
- For warmer evenings, there are two large ventilation screens, allowing increased airflow while keeping out bugs.
- The bottom of the tent is waterproof. Winterial also makes a footprint that is specifically sized for this tent (sold separately).
- Fast and Easy Setup – This tent can be setup in very little time even with no prior experience.
- Three Person Sizing – Means 2 people and their gear can fit very comfortably
- Backpacking Concern – If you store things horizontally you will need to store this externally due to size overall.
- Not For Tall People – Over 6′ will need to be diagonal and maybe more a fetal position to fit comfortably.
Final Thoughts on the Winterial 3 Person Tent
One of the only tents on our list that is a three person tent as the low weight (4.4 pounds) and space makes it a very nice option for someone looking to hike with a partner and share the load between then to give that additional space once you reach the campsite.
Chillbo CABBINS Camping Tent
The fun part about this good priced tent is that the Chillbo tents are more colorful and have design to their look, it helps to set them apart from others and may either make you love them or despise them as this isn’t a “blend into the woods” tent!
They splash on the colors to create a range of funky 2-person tents that will make you look better than your neighbors when you’re camping out for the weekend.
- 🌈 RIDICULOUSLY GOOD LOOKING lightweight and portable 2 person tent that's large enough to use as a 3 person tent. Whether you're in the Great Outdoors or your backyard, you'll look better than your neighbors with these BADA$$ tents for camping. Comes in 6 unique designs that are awesome for funky adults, boys and girls. Easy tent setup and our roomy carry bag ensures you don't need to wrestle with your camping tent to get it back into the bag. Our compact tent slots into the bag with ease.
- 🤘QUALITY BUILD AND AMAZING VALUE CAMPING GEAR. Built as a stormproof tent using premium materials like a Full Fly Sheet, Oxford Floor, 2000mm Waterproof tent with seams sealed to keep you dry. Internal pockets for storage and cross-wound tent poles for strength and durability. Easy Access and very breathable tent via 2 large D-frame doors and 2 mesh window panels make this the ultimate backpacking tent to add to your hiking gear. Our Chillbo dome tent sets up easy and packs down in minutes.
- ⛈STORMPROOF AND SPACIOUS TWO PERSON TENT or cosy three man tent keeps you safe from the elements. The Chillbo Cabbins 3 season tent has a covered entryway, full coverage fly sheet and wind responsive frame for quick, easy shelter while backpacking, car camping, hiking or living large at a music festival. No-See-Um mesh protects you from critters so you can chillax. Large enough to fit a queen mattress so you can cosy up to that special someone, or pack the little ones into these fun kids tents.
- 🎁IDEAL GIFT FOR CAMPERS for a loved one that wants a camping tent that stands out from the crowd. Never lose your dome tent in a sea of bland camping tents again! Our custom patterns have been designed in-house and look way slicker than your average camping tent. Did we mention that this is the ultimate kids tent? Kids freakin' love our camping equipment too. Now they can have a rainbow kids tent to match their rainbow unicorn and fall in love with tent camping.
- 🙌 LIFETIME GUARANTEE ensures 100% customer satisfaction. If your Chillbo Cabbins tent should ever cease to meet your expectations, return it for a full refund of your purchase price. No questions asked. If you still need convincing, feel free to check out the many reviews that our customers have written about the Chillbo tent for camping. We're pumped to bring these to the market, and you'll be jazzed hanging out in your awesome lightweight camping tent. GO ON, CLICK ADD TO CART TODAY.
- 2000mm waterproofing throughout, including sealed seams and a welded floor for max storm-proofing. Check out the reviews below to see how Chillbo Cabbins stands up to the rigors of Mother Nature.
- Premium Oxford flooring to provide a softer, luxurious base.
- 2 Internal pockets for storing essentials.
- Cross-wound poles for extra strength and durability.
- No-See-Um mesh to protect you and your loved ones from unwanted critters and creepy crawlies.
- A sufficiently spacious tent bag so you can pack your tent up without an Advanced Physics degree.
- Nicely Vented – Plenty of mesh to help get airflow through the tent and keep it as cool as possible.
- Weight – This tent comes in at about 8 pounds and is meant more for short range backpacking or car camping
Final Thoughts on the Chillbo CABBINS Camping Tent
Definitely for the person who likes to camp and stand out, take them out and have a good time this is really what the Chillbo CABBINS line is all about. They are much more an expression of you and your lifestyle than a tent in a static green or orange color scheme!
Factors To Consider When Buying a Budget Backpacking Tent
Now we can dive into factors you should focus on finding the best tent that will fit within your budget. This should include an analysis of each item and their features, your needs, and your preference.
It is a lot to go over so I have taken some steps to help make this easier. I always keep the below items in my mind as they are important things in making my purchase decisions.
One of the essential factors in the tent consideration of backpackers is the weight required to carry. The longer your hike the more this decision will and should weigh into your considerations, when you carry something 2000 miles or more each pound adds up on your body.
Additionally, the older you get the less weight you want to carry to help keep you less sore and achy as the joints can get very beat up on the trail.
Lastly, striving to be lightweight shouldn’t mean that you compromise your own safety or other requirements like overall space and durability.
This is where the rubber hits the road for many backpackers as most of us understand buying a $500 tent is just insane and not financially responsible nor feasible in almost all circumstances. We want to choose the one that combines enough quality and affordability to enjoy our backpacking trips while also not destroying your wallet simultaneously.
When you look into stability you need to think about the issues you may encounter in the trip. High winds, lightening, snow, and heavy rain are the most typical and you want a tent which can survive these issues as you don’t frequently have a fallback shelter like your car or house should something fail.
To most, the best backpacking tent would be one that has a smaller overall size as you need to carry them in your backpack. This may make you think you should only go shopping for tents which take up little space within your backpack.
Make sure that you pay as much attention to the space it will provide you when set up as the amount of space it takes up with being carried. There is no point in a super small tent if it cant hold you and keep you warm as needed, pay attention to the weather and other variables before the trip to make sure you choose correctly for the trip itself.
When deciding on the tent you will purchase you need to understand when you plan on backpacking and camping as this can change your decision greatly. If you are planning a spring to fall hike time then you are open to 3 season tents, this is basically all tent options.
If you are planning winter based camping and hiking then you need to look at the options for a 4 season tent instead. These tents will be much better in maintaining heat along with better thicker material to hold up to the different needs that winter presents.
Ease of Setup
No one like a tent that takes a masters degree in engineering to setup, and even if you did you may enjoy it far less after 10 hours of hiking in a day. Instead, what you want to do is find a tent which is quick and efficient for you to setup and get into and relax within.
Another valuable point to consider is the space available above you, also known as head space. This space is helpful and necessary if you plan to sit up in your tent, many tents are viable for sleeping but not always for continued use outside of laying down.
I have read numerous recommendations to look for a minimum of 30 square feet of space for each person to be inside the tent.
Vestibules and Entrances
When choosing a tent that has a vestibule can be exceptionally helpful in rainy conditions as they provide you a place for dumping your wet equipment and your boots other gear. They can also provide welcome shelter while you take off your wet weather gear.
Tents which have split doors make it more convenient for you to get in and out of your tent, a feature which is helpful when you are sharing your shelter with additional people.
When spending the nights outdoors, one of the worst feelings is to wake up in the morning to find everything is damp. This is frequently one of the most irritating and horrible things to have to manage when backpacking.
Realizing that your bedding and clothes are wet due to them having touched the tent walls adds to this stressor and increased time to air out and dry the gear as you cant allow that to be damp through the day into the next night.
I always recommend you try to choose your tent with better ventilation available while their rain fly is on, along with vents specifically added to help eliminate any internal condensation issues.
General Tips About Buying a Budget Tent
When investigating the options available to purchase a tent for less than 100 dollars you will have to make some compromises about the quality, durability, and weight. I’ll go into more depth on a few details below we will highlight a few common challenges with budget tents.
Here is the deal, every tent manufacturer claims their product is waterproof, which is technically true as these claims are scrutinized. The actuality is that that at this lower end this is one of the areas where savings are made.
This is why you should typically spend the time to do extra waterproofing, to make sure you are safe and that you won’t have any issues on the trail. I recommend you purchase some waterproofing spray (I prefer Nikwax – which you can buy here) and apply an extra coat yourself prior to heading outdoors onto the trail.
Less Durable Floor or Tub Area
When looking for less expensive tents this is another place where some costs are able to be cut by a company, typically in using a little less thck and durable material. This can mean in many tent choices you may risk water coming in or that there will be easier tearing in the fabric.
The only solution for this type of issue is to use a tarp or a tent footprint. Yes, this will cost you a bit more up front but it will help you to enjoy yourself which means you’ll need to find a balance between overall budget and comfort.
Zippers breaking, bending or otherwise having issues are a common complaint on cheap tents. The thing is you just aren’t typically going to find heavy duty zippers in a tent under $100.
There’s a risk of the zippers breaking but the most common issue is that cheap zippers are prone to getting stuck easily. It can be quite annoying but it’s something you are going to have to live with in this price range.
Final Thoughts on Finding Your Best Budget Backpacking Tent Under $100
Hopefully I have presented you some very good options which you are going to take with you on your next backpacking trip! As I expect you are just trying to get yourself started when you look to a $100 tent, you are just starting to explore your want to be in the outdoors and need a starter.
I would love to hear from you what your experiences are and hopefully that is has been exciting and that you are now thinking about consistently exploring the outdoors.
Please feel free to share this out to others who are getting started to ensure they make good choices on their initial tent so they can love the outdoors like us!
Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo Review: 1P High Quality Design
Looking for a high quality, durable, and simple to setup tent for your hiking, backpacking and other needs? Then look no further than the Lunar Solo tent!
3F UL Gear Lanshan 2 Tent Review: Best Budget UL 2P Tent
Watching hikers purchase $600 tents was a tad bit irritating as I didn't have that kind of disposable income, fortunately I read up on 3F UL Gear Lanshan 2!
6 Best Tents For an Enjoyable Appalachian Trail Thru-Hike
When you take on the Appalachian Trail you are committing yourself to 4-6 months of consistent travel, you want to have a place to stop and call home.
How to Choose an Ultralight Tent or Shelter for a Thru Hike
Making the plunge to purchase your first ultralight tent comes with some caveats wher eyou want to consider your needs and the area you are heading.
Big Agnes Fly Creek HV Carbon 2 Tent Review: Elite Ultralight
When you are looking for ultralight backpacking tents the Big Agnes Fly Creek HV Carbon 2 Tent has got to be at the top of your list!
Big Agnes Tiger Wall UL 2 MTNGLO Tent Review
This is an amazing value for the cost allowing you to carry on the trail for a very low weight. It has enough space to fit you and your bag!!