Are you currently trying to find the best way to maintain communications for a thru-hike or a longer distance trek? Then the Garmin InReach Mini is more than likely the right device for you.
Anyone who hikes for weeks and months on end knows that every ounce counts more and more the longer you are out. Our Garmin InReach Mini review is going to cover more about the lightest and most powerful device available for a GPS system.
It also can send messages to people with updates as to your travels and distance covered, helps you to text even if you don’t have a cell signal if you have the app installed on your phone.
- Small, rugged, lightweight satellite communicator enables two way text messaging using the 100 percentage global Iridium network (satellite subscription required)
- Trigger an interactive SOS to the 24/7 search and rescue monitoring center (satellite subscription required)
- Access downloadable maps, U.S. NOAA charts, color aerial imagery and more by using the free Garmin Earthmate app and compatible devices
- Optional inReach weather forecast service provides detailed updates directly to your inReach Mini or paired device; basic and premium weather packages available
- Send and receive inReach messages through compatible Garmin devices, including connected wearables and handhelds.Display resolution:128 x 128 pixels
Here’s a Rundown of what we’ll provide in this Garmin inReach Mini Review:
- First, we’ll share the features and benefits that you’ll find useful
- Next, we’ll take a look at the drawbacks you might need to know about
- Then, we’ll tell you a bit about the Garmin company
- And finally, we’ll provide a sampling of actual customer and Independent reviews to give you better insight into the product.
Sound good? Let’s get started!
Features and Benefits of the Garmin inReach Mini
- Small & Rugged – The Mini is a lightweight satellite communicator which enables two-way text messaging (Requires Subscription)
- SOS Trigger – Has an interactive SOS to the 24/7 search and rescue monitoring center (Requires Subscription)
- Downloadable Maps – Access downloadable maps, U.S. NOAA charts, color aerial imagery and more by using the free Garmin Earthmate app and compatible devices
- Basic Or Premium Weather – Optionally available inReach weather forecast service provides detailed updates directly to your inReach Mini or paired device; basic and premium weather packages available
- Sending Messages – Send and receive inReach messages through compatible Garmin devices, including connected wearables and handhelds.
- Cloud Storage and Trip Planning – Get free access to the cloud-powered Garmin Explore™ website to plan your trips, create preset messages and quick texts, sync and manage your device settings, and much more.
Special Features (Pros) of the Garmin inReach Mini
No Batteries Required – The Garmin InReach Mini, like your cell phone, is charged with power from the wall via USB or via a USB power bank. Since almost everyone today carries a power bank to keep devices charged it helps minimize extra items to carry.
Bluetooth Connectivity To Your Cell Phone – This gives you the power to overlay maps and other information on your cell with a larger phone and with a better interface. Huge points as this device can allow you to send texts even without the availability of cell signals.
Drawbacks (Cons) for the Garmin inReach Mini
No Batteries Required – As many loved the fact that it didn’t use batteries there was an equal amount that didn’t carry a power bank and found this to be less helpful than the other similar Garmin devices which use standard batteries.
Subscription Fee – The cheaper plan is $11.95 per month for an annual contract. Your other option is the $14.95 per month for the “freedom plan” which you can suspend when you don’t use it, although another issue with the freedom plans you will need to pay $25.95 per year to keep the service active.
Video: Garmin inReach Mini
About the Garmin Company
With more than 13,000 associates in 60 offices around the world, Garmin brings GPS navigation and wearable technology to the automotive, aviation, marine, outdoor and fitness markets. They think every day is an opportunity to innovate, and a chance to beat yesterday.
Garmin inReach Mini Reviews
Looking at the features and benefits is great, but taking a look at what real-and-actual customers have to say about a product offers a deeper dive of insight. Here we’ve curated reviews that reflect the Garmin inReach Mini, providing feedback from product users and reviewers on independent review sites as well as on Amazon.
Independent Reviews and Recommendations
This is our most highly rated satellite messenger. It does everything any other device can do, in a much, much smaller package. In our decades of using and testing satellite communications, this is what we’ve been waiting for. It is hard to imagine it getting any smaller.Read More…
A real breakthrough in terms of convenience, giving you the ability to signal to Search and Rescue in an emergency and communicate with them (or friends and family) by text or email, anywhere in the world, over the Iridium Satellite Network. While the Mini doesn’t provide any new functions beyond those provided by the existing inReach Explorer+ or SE+, its small size and low weight make it much more amenable to use for fast-and-light recreation like trail running, ultralight backpack, or cycling, where size and weight matter more.Read More…
Garmin seems to have largely nailed this device from a features and functionality standpoint. It does precisely what it says it does, and does it in a super small form factor that has fairly versatile battery life. The fact that it can go from 50 hours of battery life up to 20 days is astounding, especially for longer range treks that may be moving slower where a 30-minute interval is perfectly functional.Read More…
What Online Customers Have to Say About Garmin inReach Mini
I had been using a spot device and after getting a 225 dollar renewal charge from spot I had enough. I used this on a 5 day trip in the sierra Nevada mountains. It was small enough to wear on my pack strap which made it easy to check out miles for the day. Battery life wasn’t bad in tracking mode I recharged it off a solar charger but I think it could have gone two days in tracking mode. miles traveled was dead on with the map trail mileage.
I bought this for my trip down the Grand Canyon last fall. Not only does it maintain a great connection to satellites, the user interface with an iPhone is excellent. In the Garmin app, you send text messages in just the same manner as with a normal cell connection – the texting software looks the same and works the same. It just takes a little longer – like 1-2 minutes. The text message automatically includes gps location as well.
The device is small and feels rugged with a good grip. The good selection of satellite subscription plans are priced well and range from very barebones to unlimited. For me activation online and pairing setup on my IPhone was simple and took less than 10 minutes.
Final Thoughts on the Garmin inReach Mini
Garmin has been a leader in this area of devices and GPS positioning for a very long time. In the InReach Mini, they built a device very much aimed at thru-hikers and long-distance travelers in general.
This device is incredibly small, incredibly light and incredibly powerful. That is quite a combination and I would suggest with the number of times I have heard people online asking if people have seen someone, that is where this device would shine.
Compare to Other Amazon GPS Devices
Bivystick Review: Keeping Up Contact on the Go
Each person may have slightly different needs but having the ability to reach out when you need it can't be overlooked, consider a tracker as a MUST have!
Helinox Chair Zero Review: Hiking With Style and Luxury
The Helinox Chair Zero is a supremely small and lightweight chair. It changed my mind as to bringing a chair and allows me to sit anywhere I choose!
Exped Air Pillow Review: Lightweight and Comfortable
A pillow is now something that will be in my pack no matter the weight as with quality sleep I function so much better than my exhausted poor slept self!