Every hiker needs to have a puffy down jacket to keep them warm when the inevitable cold comes. This is where the Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer comes in amazingly on its strengths.
Imagine having a jacket which can fit in your pocket and weighs less than 10 ounces but with the warming ability of jackets 2 times the weight and size! This is why this jacket has become a favorite on the trails and why you should look into taking the plunge!
- WARM, COMFORT, LIGHTWEIGHT, DURABILITY: With 800-fill down and a weight of only 8 oz, the Ghost Whisperer is the lightest in its class. Zips into its own pocket for compact storage
- WINDPROOF AND WATER REPELLENT: The Ghost Whisperer fabric's super-tight weave is naturally downproof, windproof and water repellent. Down fibers are infused with a permanent water repellency that helps maintain insulating performance even when exposed to moisture. Ripstop nylon.
- FIT: Alpine fit means a trim, close to body fit perfect for layering under a shell. Soft knit inner cuffs have elastic binding to snug in warmth. Hem has an interior toggle for easy adjustment
- FUNCTION: Low-profile quilting holds the 800 fill power goose down in place.Stow pocket has a loop so you can clip the jacket to your harness. Zippered hand pockets.
- LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY: Limited Lifetime Warranty covers defects in materials and workmanship for the practical lifetime of Mountain Hardwear brand products manufactured by Mountain Hardwear
Here’s a Rundown of what we’ll provide in this Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer Review:
- First, we’ll share the features and benefits that you’ll find useful
- Next, we’ll take a look at the drawbacks you might need to know about
- Then, we’ll tell you a bit about the Mountain Hardware company
- And finally, we’ll provide a sampling of actual customer and Independent reviews to give you better insight into the product.
Sound good? Let’s get started!
Features and Benefits of the Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer
- QShield Down resists heat-robbing moisture and retains maximum loft even when wet
- Low profile quilt pattern to create heat trapping down channels for extra warmth
- Single interior toggle hem for easy adjustment on the fly
Soft ”butter jersey” cuffs have elastic binding to seal off cold and moisture
- Zips into its own pocket for compact storage, built-in secure loop for carabiner attachment to harness when stuffed
- An ultralight down jacket for climbing, hiking, and backpacking
- Highly compressible 800-fill down with hydrophobic treatment
- Whisperer ripstop fabric keeps weight to a minimum
- Quilting pattern reduces bulk and enhances insulation properties
- Interior toggle allows for quick adjustments to the hem
- Zippered hand pockets secure small essentials
- Stuffs into hand pocket for quick storage and easy packing
- Active fit reduces needles bulk for easy layering
Special Features (Pros) of the Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer
7 Denier By 10 Denier – There’s one mill in the world that weaves the unique Ghost Whisperer™ fabric. As the world’s only true 7 denier by 10 denier fabric, it’s essential for keeping light when weight can make or break your ascent.
Incredibly Lightweight – Developed as part of our Ueli Steck Project with the renowned speed alpinist, Ghost Whisperer™ equips the next generation of ultrafast mountaineers. The men’s and women’s down jackets weigh under 8 ounces and are easily compressible into a pocket. Our Ghost Whisperer™ down sleeping bags minimize bulk on your pack.
Drawbacks (Cons) for the Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer
Quality Questions – Customers have reported that the material feels cheap for the price and that they feel as though it could rip easily. These same reviews state no issues around this though so it is more maybe due to the sheen on the fabric.
Sizing Questions – A change in supplier of the fabric has led to people getting sized more snug with their purchases. It looks like it may run a little small or more “athletic” now
Video: Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer
Video Credit: ProLiteGear – Click Here to watch directly on YouTube
About the Mountain Hardwear Company
Mountain Hardwear was founded in 1993 by a small band of outdoor industry iconoclasts. They saw the industry changing, compromising quality and dumbing down products to serve less technical users. Mountain Hardwear was founded to buck this trend in order to stay true to the needs of outdoor athletes.
Performance means products purposefully designed, form following function, using the highest quality materials and technologies. Performance means providing users with better physical and emotional experiences through fit, weather protection, temperature regulation and moisture management.
Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer Reviews
Looking at the features and benefits is great, but taking a look at what real-and-actual customers have to say about a product offers a deeper dive of insight. Here we’ve curated reviews that reflect the Mountain Hardwear Men’s Ghost Whisperer, providing feedback from product users and reviewers on independent review sites as well as on Amazon.
Independent Reviews and Recommendations for the Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer
Once awarded our Editors’ Choice award for best overall lightweight down jacket, this year we are happy to call the Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer Hooded our Top Pick for Lightweight Warmth. Although it doesn’t have as much heat-trapping loft as many heavier jackets, there is one thing that makes this jacket super unique and a must have.Read More…
The Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer/2 hits a balance of features, warmth, and weight better than most other ultralight down jackets on the market.Read More…
for those of you looking for an ultralight down jacket that won’t sacrifice warmth for weight, the Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer has to be among the finalists in your search (if it isn’t, then you haven’t been doing very good research).Read More…
What Online Customers Have to Say About Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer
Awesome JacketRead More…
I put this thing through the wringer on a daily bases and it holds up to the challenge while still being ultralight. Great top layer. Its roomy enough to layer but snug enough to wear independently.
Slimmer FitRead More…
I bought this jacket as a gift for my Dad, and had to return it for a different jacket. The jacket itself is awesome and lightweight, but it did run slightly more “slim” fit on him compared to other brands like Patagonia & North Face. Jacket also has a sheen to it (as shown in pictures), but something to keep in mind when buying.
Warm Light weight Down JacketRead More…
I bought this Jacket for backpacking purposes, trying to lighten the load. Today it was 17 degrees and sunny. I wore this jacket with a long sleeve Ice Breaker merino wool shirt underneath. I walked a mile in the cold and I was more than warm under my jacket. This jacket is all it is talked up to be and will be in my back pack the next trip to Spain.
Final Thoughts on the Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer
When you start preparing for your thru-hike or any hike where weather will be a concern you need to invest into a puffy jacket that can both keep you warm along with be incredibly light to help carry it.
This is why I like the Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer as it fills all these needs perfectly while maintaining a super lightweight, super warm and super small form. Take the investment on and it will pay dividends for years to come!
Compare to Other Puffy Jackets
How Can I Choose The Best Puffy Jacket For Thru Hiking
When trying to learn about puffy jackets I could find very little about the key factors in deciding which jacket would be right for me, now its here for you
How to Make a Puffer Jacket Puffy Again
Through proper storage you can avoid flattening your jacket, and when a jacket becomes flattened over time, you can easily extend your puffer jacket's life!
10 Best Thru Hiking Puffy Jackets: 2000 Miles of Warmth
When you are facing the cold nights in your tent you will know that your investment in a puffy jacket was well worth its price in gold due to their warmth.
Amazon Essentials Down Jacket Review: Budget Puffy for Hikes
If, like myself, you are on a budget due to outside circumstances then this puffy jacket from Amazon Essentials is a home run.
Arc’teryx Cerium SL Jacket Review: Ultralight on the Trail
Choosing a puffy jacket is a necessary evil for long distance hikes as having something that can get you warm at the end of the day can be vital!
How to Get Smells Out of a Puffer Jacket?
Over time your puffy jacket will end up picking up a bunch of odors, both from you and also from the environment as things like fire and sweat can be ripe!