For hikers who live on a budget like I do finding gems in the rough is what you have to do for the best cost to performance. Recently I found this really new quilt from Featherstone called the Moondance and it is the quilt I plan to purchase for my cold weather (20-30 degree) trips!
As most budget conscious hikers will admit it is frequently a choice between weight or limited temperature support, the Moondance appears to have found a good medium with low weight and a solid low comfort temperature.
If you want to look at a more exhaustive list of quilts check out our quilt compendium here.
Here’s a rundown of what we’ll provide in this Featherstone Moondance Quilt review:
- First we’ll share the features and benefits that you’ll find useful
- Next, we’ll take a look at the drawbacks you might need to know about
- Then, we’ll tell you a bit about the Featherstone company
- And finally we’ll provide a sampling of actual customer and Independent reviews to give you better insight into the product.
Sound good? Let’s get started!
Features and Benefits of the Featherstone Moondance Quilt
- Exterior Fabric: Technical Performance Based 10d Nylon is calendered to keep the down in while maintaining breathability, preventing a clammy-like feel that’s experienced in most sleeping bags
- Quilt Fill: RDS Certified DOWNTEK Duck Down
- VERSATILE SLEEPING BAG ALTERNATIVE: Unlike any other outdoor blanket, this top quilt has the capability to match the warmth of a sleeping bag and doubles as a blanket or underquilt for a hammock
- LIGHTWEIGHT & PACKABLE: Made with DOWNTEK PFC-FREE Water Repellent 850 Fill Power Duck Down Insulation, the quilt provides superior loft, warmth to weigh ratio, and packs small and compact–great for outdoor travel
- INSULATED & COMFORTABLE: Down insulation provides superior warmth compared to synthetic insulation. The quilt has been ISO Tested with a temperature rating of 26 degrees T-Limit makes it perfect for all season camping. Silky smooth nylon provides breathability and prevents a clammy-feel during your sleep.
- ACCESSORIES: Comes with a compression stuff sack and pad straps to connect with your sleeping pad. Pair this quilt with other camp gear to make the ultimate sleep system while camping in the backcountry.
- LIFETIME WARRANTY: Backed with a limited lifetime manufacturing warranty from a U.S. company. Featherstone warrants its products will be free from defects in materials and workmanship to the original owner for the lifetime of the product. If a warranty claim is validated, we will repair, replace or refund, at our option, the damaged product.
|Regular/Regular||Long / Wide|
|Length||75.6 in (192 cm)||90.2 in (229 cm)|
|Shoulder Width||53.9 in (137 cm)||57.9 in (147 cm)|
|Foot Circumference||39.8 in (101 cm)||41.7 in (106 cm)|
|Weight||1 lb 7 oz ( g)||1 lb 11 oz ( g)|
|Insulation||DownTek PFC-Free Grey Duck Down||DownTek PFC-Free Grey Duck Down|
|Recommended Size||5’2″ – 5’10’||5’11” – 6’9”|
Special Features (Pros) of the Featherstone Moondance Quilt
Half the Price – Compared to others in the market the quilts from Featherstone come in at around half the price of the “named” competition giving a huge bang for your buck.
Packs Down Small – This quilt fits in and compresses down well inside a backpack allowing for less space to be taken up and allows for smaller pack sizes.
Near Realtime Delivery – Unlike many of the cottage industry companies these quilts ship pretty fast and deliver reliably allowing you to purchase and use within a short period of time instead of months+.
Drawbacks (Cons) for the Featherstone Moondance Quilt
No Options to Change – The quilt comes in the fabric shown, there is no choice to make a swap in materials, color or fill. So you need to be happy with a stock quilt when making this purchase.
Imported From China – These aren’t made in the USA and this is a detractor for many people. These are not from AliExpress but they are designed in SoCal and manufactured in China and shipped stateside.
Video: Featherstone Moondance Quilt
About the Featherstone Company
Featherstone Outdoor is an outdoor brand based in Southern California. The company was built with a mission to inspire individuals to experience the great outdoors by providing quality and accessible products.
Featherstone Moondance Quilt Reviews
With an unrivaled warmth to weight ratio, the Featherstone Moondance 25 is a backpacker’s dream to sleeping in the backcountry. The quilt dispenses a cinch-able open foot box design with a zipper.
Combined with an overstuffed draft collar to prevent cold air from entering and heat from escaping. A horizontal boxed baffle design keeps the down intact and optimizes warmth from top to bottom.
Designed to be versatile and comfortable, wrap this quilt around your favorite sleeping pad or simply use the quilt as a camping blanket.
Independent Reviews and Recommendations for the Featherstone Moondance Quilt
While researching more for some additional viewpoints it is very apparent that this quilt is super new and there is no additional sources I could find to provide more feedback.
Once I find some more I will gladly update this to ensure everyone has all the information they need!
What Amazon Customers Have to Say About the Featherstone Moondance Quilt
Overwhelmingly positive sentiment around the heat that they kept while using this sleeping quilt, allowing into the 20’s in many cases with just normal thermal or similar sleep clothing with total comfort.View Amazon Reviews
Sizing overall is a point that was brought up by many people, choosing the larger version is a must when around 6′ tall for most people. Overall they said the larger one feels voluminous when sleeping which is a huge deal for people who don’t want side drafts if they don’t anchor.View Amazon Reviews
Final Thoughts on the Featherstone Moondance Quilt
Finding those perfect matches for a budget piece of gear can be quite difficult and this is a perfect match for price, warmth, and weight. This easily helps you drop serious pounds from your back and legs.
I am aiming to purchase this after Christmas for my thru hike on the Ouachita Trail trip in 2021, this would allow me to drop about a solid 1/2 pound on my current OneTigris quilt and since down it will compact more also!
Hopefully I helped you figure out whether this was the right quilt for you to bring on your next trip and I would love to hear about it in the comments should you take it out!
Compare to Other Quilts on Amazon
|Top||Sierra Designs Nitro Quilt 20 Degree Ultralight Sleeping Bag - 800 Fill Camping & Backpacking Sleeping Bag||Prime||Buy Now|
|Top||Therm-a-Rest Corus Down Backpacking and Camping Quilt, 20-Degree, Long, Spring||Prime||Buy Now|
|Top||Sea to Summit Ember Down Quilt, 20 Degrees F, Regular||Prime||Buy Now|
|Therm-a-Rest Vesper 20-Degree Sleeping Bag with Mattress Connector, Regular (0040818107034)||Prime||Buy Now|
|Paria Outdoor Products Thermodown 15 Degree Down Sleeping Quilt - Ultralight Cold Weather, 3 Season Quilt - Perfect for Backcountry Camping, Backpacking and Hammocks (Regular)||Prime||Buy Now|
|Featherstone Moondance 25 850 Fill Power Down Top Quilt Mummy Sleeping Bag Alternative for Ultralight Backpacking Camping and Thru-Hiking||Prime||Buy Now|